Who we are?
The UK based Association of British Turkish Academics (ABTA) is the leading professional organisation for scholars in the UK and Turkey dedicated to creating academic partnerships and bridges between the two countries. Founded in London in 2010, ABTA is a non-profit and non-political organisation and established exclusively for scientific, charitable and educational purposes. ABTA seeks to enhance and disseminate knowledge through its organised projects, seminars, conferences, meetings and academic trips. One of the primary objectives of ABTA is to support young academics and researchers in the UK regardless of their nationality. This document provides an overview of the personal data management undertaken by the organisation.
ABTA collects, uses and is responsible for certain personal information about you but never shares with third-party for the purpose of trade benefit. We aim to be clear when we collect your data and not to do anything you would not reasonably expect. What information do we collect?
You give us your information when you book an event or submit an application by signing up to one of our meetings, competitions or conferences via online.
In the course of your time as a Member or Friend of ABTA, we may collect the following personal information:
- Your full name
- Postal address
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Personal statement
It is important that the personal data we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal data changes during your relationship with us. How do we use your data?
We will use your personal information in order to provide information and services to you as Member or ABTA.
If we need to use your personal information for an unrelated purpose, we will notify you and we will explain the legal basis which allows us to do so. If you wish to get an explanation as to how the processing for the new purpose is compatible with the original purpose, please contact us.
Please note that we may process your personal information without your knowledge or consent, in compliance with the above rules, where this is required or permitted by law. Who we share your personal information with?
We may have to share personal information with the parties set out below for the purposes set out above. We work with third party service providers who provide development, hosting, maintenance, and other professional services for us which are integral to the provision of our service. These may include:
- External third parties – service providers based in the UK who provide support services for event hosting. This includes venues and booking processors, such as Eventbrite.
- Data Centre Operators and Hosting Service Providers, for storing data and hosting the Services, such as Google, Dropbox, Mailchimp, Survey Monkey and website hosting provider
- Communications Services Providers, for services related to collection, storage or transmission of email, SMS or other electronic messages
- Payment service providers, such as PayPal.
- Other University/industry-based colleagues who assist with disseminating surveys as part of the ABTA ongoing research programme and activities or with providing networking and other cooperation or professional opportunities to our members
We require all third-party suppliers to respect the security of your personal information and to treat it in accordance with the law. We do not allow our third-party suppliers to use our members' personal information for their own purposes and only permit them to process members personal information for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
We will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
We will delete information when we no longer need it. Your rights
You have the following rights related to your personal data:
How we keep your data safe
- The right to request a copy of personal information held about you.
- The right to request that inaccuracies be corrected.
- The right to request us to stop processing your personal data
- The right to be forgotten for the information we hold about you to be erased from our records
Your personal data will be held on ABTA's systems and carefully selected third party systems. We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. Contact us
Please contact us if you have any questions about how we hold personal data about you; wish to be removed from any communications or data processing activities.